Lost World Valley - Scenic Rim

Natural Features and History of The Lost World


Land of Mountains & Streams


Lamington National Park

The Lost World is situated at the wilderness end of Lamington National Park. The magic of World Heritage listed rainforest is close here and is accessible from the Lost World. A short rock hopping expedition up river will reveal the beautiful bubbles of rock pools and dense green walls of forest vegetation.

Access from Christmas Creek can be obtained with guidance, to the famous wreck of the Stinson plane - crashed in the 1930's and famously found by Bernard O'Reilly with survivors. These were rescued by local men and carried out to safety on makeshift stretchers through the dense jungle. There is a pleasant half day walk here too to the grave of the young Englishman Jim Westray who survived the crash only to die in a fall down a waterfall while seeking help. As well as beauty there are the stories.



Lost World

Lost World is actually a hidden plateau - a green shelf on Razorback Mountain - found long ago by the adventurous O'Reilly's who imagined that anything could have remained hidden on this magical step between mountain and sky. The valley below is a very beautiful one where today the hustle and stress of the outside world is easily lost.


Albert River

The Upper reaches of the Albert River slip through Lost World Valley and retain the pristine quality of their source. The river supports fish restocked by the Carp Busters group and plenty of catfish and eels. Swimming holes abound and their chill is welcome on a warm summers day.


Christmas Creek

Just over the hill, Christmas Creek flows straight from the rainforest to you. Swimming holes are lost and found especially along the track to Westray's grave and World Heritage listed rainforest frames the pools. Plenty of fish to catch and release here too.

Access to the start of the walk to the site of the famous Stinson plane crash or a pleasant half day walk to the grave of the young Englishman Jim Westray who survived the crash only to die in a fall down a waterfall while seeking help.

Home of The Christmas Creek Rec. Centre - Café & Cabins

Download brochure ...

The history of the Christmas Creek Recreation Centre can be traced as far back to the late 30s when Australia was developing a National Fitness campaign. Beaudesert was one of 18 country centres chosen to participate in the national fitness committees. It was in 1943 that George Mavor, a high school teacher from Beaudesert State Rural School became involved in the program. George was the perfect candidate to organise activities at the school to increase physical education. Read more....

Static Map

Wyralong Dam and Mt Joyce Recreation Park

The Mt Joyce Recreation Park was developed as part of the Wyaralong Dam Project. The dam has been constructed on the Teviot Brook, approximately 14 kilometres northwest of Beaudesert in the Logan River Catchment.

The storage holds up to 103,000 megalitres of water when full, creating a water body that stretches for some 26km along the Teviot Brook.

Wyralong Dam and Mt Joyce Recreation Park are popular for fishing, kayaking, camping, horse riding, mountain bike riding, walking and picnicking.

Download the Visitor Guide, Maps and Visitor Information Sheets for further information about visiting Mt Joyce Recreation Park.

Back to top


Teeming with Wildlife

 Stony Creek Frog during mating season





Wildlife abounds in The Lost World. Pretty faced wallabies are more curious than timidand hop reluctantly away. There are smaller marsupials, possums and echidna and even a shy platypus or two. Myriads of birds of exotic colour and sound practice flybys and there are frogs who need an expert for identification. Not to mention the reptiles!






Vegetation includes dense rainforest and more open sclerophyll forest with a wide range of flowering trees shrubs and herbs. Bush food includes wild limes, watercress, lemon myrtle, ginger and pepper, macadamias, Davidson and Burdekin plums, tamarind and yellow box wood and many more.

October/November is Silky Oak month when the Albert River is awash in the golden glow of these beautiful trees.




Back to top


Steeped in History

Central Kerry

Mathew & Susan Horan started their new life in Australia in the early 1870’s before selecting land at Kerry in 1874. Mathew built a slab hut close to the Albert River in 1874 to allow his family easy access to water. A tremendous flood swept through the valley in 1887, causing the family to seek safety for the night on the rails of the cattle yards. It was this event that triggered the decision to build a home on higher ground; the homestead was completed in 1888, the first sawn timber home to be built in the area.

When Mathew’s son Ronald left to fight in WWI, Mathew began the partnership, Horan and Tommerup which he ran in partnership with the remainder of his children. After the death of Mathew’s wife, his daughters, Katie & Gathie, took over running the household and farm with their father, assisted by Katie’s husband, Hannibal Tommerup. The farm has been passed down through generations of the Tommerup family ever since.

The original homestead still stands today and the cottage accommodation now provided on Tommerup’s Dairy Farm is the original detached kitchen from this homestead. The building was dismantled piece by piece and rebuilt in it’s current location in the 1940’s. It was given a new lease on life as a worker’s cottage and now offers quality guest accommodation with rustic character and charm.

Visit Tommerup's Dairy Farm

Back to top


Cedar Glen

Edgar Stephens who built historic Cedar Glen Homestead lived in Brisbane in his early years and his father, John, managed the Brisbane Courier, owned by his brother T.B. Stephens, for 12 years until 1874 when the paper was sold.

Edgar started his working life in an office in the city but decided the country life was for him, and with his brother William he started a dairy farm at Coopers Planes. He took up land at the Lost World in 1882 and acquired Cedar Glen at the turn of the century with the homestead being built in 1901.

Edgar farmed in partnership with his sons, and the family owned substantial holdings in the Lost World area. Edgar died in 1941 and since then most of the family land has been sold and the Cedar Glen 4th generation property is now 1050 acres.

The historic Cedar Glen Homestead still stands today and is maintained in mostly its original condition. It is now the central hub of Cedar Glen Farmstay and is used for dining and accommodation.

Visit Cedar Glen

Back to top


Chinese Shepherd Graves, Hut and Washpool

Thought to be in the employ of AW Compigne circa 1850 there is evidence that Chinese Shepherds once lived and worked in our valley.

The local Beaudesert Historical Society has erected a plaque marking the site of one hut at Crebra Farmhouse and there is also a grave nearby.

The Kerry "wash pool" can also be found at Crebra Farmhouse. Now used for fishing, picnicking and exploring by guests, "The Washpool", was once the site where the sheep were dipped to remove the soil and dirt that had collected in their fleece since last shearing.

Back to top


Haunted House - St John's Lodge

St John's Lodge was made famous as being haunted in Bernard O'Reilly's book "Over the Hills".

The remnants of St John's Lodge and a memorial plaque can be found at Crebra Farmhouse.

Click here to download information on St John's Lodge.

Back to top

 Stinson rescue - carrying the stretcher out

Stinson Rescue

In 1937 a stinson plane crashed into the Lamington National Park. The survivors were found by Bernard O'Reilly. His bush skills in discovering them and the rescue that followed is now part of local folklore.

The Stinson crash site and Westrays Grave are accessable from the Christmas Creek access to the Lamington National Park.

Many of the accommodation businesses in The Lost World have a link to the rescue. Some even have family members that took part.

For more information on Bernard O'Reilly and the Stinson Crash click here.

Back to top


Garden Hill at Lost World Gallery

Museum and Art Gallery. Open by appointment only.


Back to top